When I started this blog, someone I know donated a Gameboy Color to be added to my collection. I had already tried (and failed) a frontlight mod once before, so I decided to try something different. I loved the looks of the brighter, more colorful custom Gameboy Colors that people have modded, so I wanted to try something like that. Here’s how it turned out!
The Gameboy Color started as a common yellow system with many scratches on the screen. I knew that painting the outside plastic of systems can end in disaster, so I decided to buy a transparent shell, and paint the inside instead. Here’s the transparent shell that I used:
And here is the paint that I used:
And the buttons I used were from Kitsch Bent. I bought the clear blue, and the clear green.
I started by laying out the front, back, and battery cover of the shell. I sprayed the transparent blue over the bottom of the inside, and the fluorescent green over the top. Coat by coat I started working my way towards the middle, about where the buttons will be.
I used rechargeable batteries with the Gameboy Color so that I don’t have to worry about burning through AAs. I use Panasonic Eneloops because they tend to last for a longer number of charge cycles, and they keep their higher voltage longer, which is good for handheld gaming systems. Also, they look good in transparent game systems like this Gameboy Color!
And here’s the finished product!